Sweet Loin Deer Stew w/ Drop Dumplings
Although my family raises beef cattle, we rarely purchase meat at the store and typically eat the deer, duck, and goose we hunt. This recipe is a favorite my mommom always used to make. It has all the best parts of good ole country cooking. I cook the old fashioned way of not measuring, so I apologize for my amounts! Seems like a lot, but you just stick it in the oven and walk away.
Yield: 8 servings
Community Recipe from
- 2 whole(s) deer sweet loins cubed
- 1/2 jar(s) beef broth
- worchestershire sauce
- 1 whole(s) onion sliced
- 4 whole(s) carrots chopped
- 3 whole(s) celery chopped
- 2 cube(s) beef bouillon crushed
- 2 whole(s) ears of sweet corn
- 2 package(s) dinner biscuit packages
- liquid gravy maker
- 6 whole(s) large potatoes whipped
- Salt, Pepper, Water, Flour
- 1. Cube frozen sweet loins and chop carrots and celery into just over bite sized pieces. Cut kernels off of the sweet corn. Slice the onion.
- 2. Add meat, carrots, celery, onion, and corn to a stew pot. Heavily salt and pepper all sides and sprinkle crushed beef bouillon cubes.
- 3. Pour and circle pot with worchestershire sauce pot 3 times. Pour in half a container of beef broth. Add enough water to cover all vegetables and meat. Stir to combine broth and water.
- 4. Allow to cook at 400 degrees for 4 hours.
- 5. After stew has been in for 4 hours, start boiling potatoes for whipping.
- 6. Give stew another 20 minutes in oven to give potatoes time to boil. Then put stew on stove top over medium heat.
- 7. Allow stew time to boil, then add floured biscuit dough to stew, ripping into thirds. Stir every 4th dumpling added.
- 8. Half way through adding dumplings, if you need to add more water, mix half water with half broth and add flour to thicken.
- 9. Add about tbsp of liquid gravy mixer to darken stew.
- 10. Allow dumplings to cook.
- 11. Spoon whipped potatoes into a bowl and pour stew over top.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by HlyKnn and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note