This is a fantastic recipe. The sauce would be great with any protein. Next time I will pat the tofu dry before frying because it didn't get as crispy as I would like it. But I will definitely make this again and it is great over rice!
Sweet Hot Tofu
Photo: Randy Mayor
Coated in an assertive sauce, this tofu dish will win over even the pickiest eaters. Use bottled ginger and garlic to save time, then serve the flavorful concoction over steaming white rice.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup rice and about 1/2 cup tofu mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 275
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Protein: 14.1g
- Carbohydrate: 36.1g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 0.5mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 425mg
- Calcium: 55mg
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag long-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 (14-ounce) package firm reduced-fat tofu, cut into (1-inch) cubes
- 2/3 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- Dash of crushed red pepper
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu, and sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from skillet.
- Combine broth and the next 7 ingredients (through pepper), stirring well with a whisk.
- Add ginger, garlic, and onions to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in broth mixture; cook 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly. Add tofu to pan; cook 30 seconds, stirring gently to coat. Divide rice evenly among each of 4 plates; top each serving with tofu mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note