Sweet Green Tomato Cornmeal Muffins
Serve with fresh basil butter: Stir together 1/2 cup softened butter and 2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil.
More From Southern Living
Total: 45 Minutes
- 2 cups seeded, diced green tomatoes (about 3/4 lb.)
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and divided
- 2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 5 large eggs
- 1 (16-oz.) container sour cream
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Sauté tomatoes and 2 Tbsp. sugar in 2 Tbsp. melted butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat 10 to 12 minutes or until tomatoes begin to caramelize and turn light brown.
- 2. Stir together cornmeal mix, lemon zest, and remaining 6 Tbsp. sugar in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture. Whisk together eggs, sour cream, and remaining 6 Tbsp. butter; add to cornmeal mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in tomatoes.
- 3. Generously coat small (1/4 cup) brioche molds or muffin pans with vegetable cooking spray; spoon batter into molds, filling two-thirds full. Bake at 450° for 15 to 17 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note