I used bacon instead of pork, omitted crab, and used milk instead of cream. The crab certainly would have given it more flavor but the corn was delicious and made it very summery. Served with grilled buttermilk chicken (found on myrecipes as well). Very nice summer meal.
Sweet Corn Soup with Crab
- 1/3 cup diced salt pork
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup white cornmeal
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 3 cups fresh sweet corn kernels (about 6 ears)
- 4 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 corncobs
- 1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Garnish: fresh cilantro sprigs
- Brown salt pork in a Dutch oven over medium heat; remove pork, and reserve for another use.
- Add butter to pork drippings in Dutch oven over medium heat; whisk in cornmeal, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Add celery and next 4 ingredients; saute 2 minutes.
- Add broth and corncobs. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Remove and discard corncobs. Stir in crabmeat and next 4 ingredients; cook until thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired.
- Prep: 25 min., Cook: 45 min.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sweet Corn Soup with Crab Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Main Dishes, Soups/Stews
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American, Southern
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Shellfish, Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Gluten-Free
- OCCASION: Summer, Birthdays/Anniversaries, Father's Day, Mother's Day, New Year's, Valentine's Day
- PUBLICATION: Southern Living
More Recipes for Appetizers