- 1/3 cup diced salt pork
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup white cornmeal
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 3 cups fresh sweet corn kernels (about 6 ears)
- 4 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 corncobs
- 1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, drained
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Garnish: fresh cilantro sprigs
How to Make It
Brown salt pork in a Dutch oven over medium heat; remove pork, and reserve for another use.
Add butter to pork drippings in Dutch oven over medium heat; whisk in cornmeal, and cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute. Add celery and next 4 ingredients; saute 2 minutes.
Add broth and corncobs. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Remove and discard corncobs. Stir in crabmeat and next 4 ingredients; cook until thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired.
Prep: 25 min., Cook: 45 min.