Sweet Corn Soufflé with Bacon
The sweet-salty flavor of this soufflé makes it well suited to roasted pork. It bakes in a standard 11 x 7-inch baking dish instead of a special soufflé dish.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 112
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 3.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 5.3g
- Carbohydrate: 17.1g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 241mg
- Calcium: 40mg
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels, divided (about 4 ears)
- 2 bacon slices
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper (about 1 pepper)
- 1/4 cup white cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Place 1 cup corn in a blender or food processor; process until pureed. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan. Crumble bacon; set aside. Increase heat to medium-high. Add remaining 2 cups corn, onion, celery, bell pepper, and jalapeño to drippings in pan; sauté 7 minutes. Combine cornmeal and flour; sprinkle over vegetables. Cook 1 minute, stirring frequently. Stir in pureed corn, broth, milk, salt, and black pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 20 minutes or until very thick, stirring frequently. Spoon into a large bowl; cool 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place cream of tartar and egg whites in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into corn mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture, crumbled bacon, and cilantro. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Place in a 400° oven; immediately reduce oven temperature to 375° (do not remove soufflé from oven). Bake 35 minutes or until puffy and set. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sweet Corn Soufflé with Bacon Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables