I like a sweeter (but not excessively so) cornbread and this recipe is just that.
Sweet Corn Bread with Mixed Berries and Berry Coulis
Corn bread lovers will also love this dessert, which stars sweet corn bread in place of the traditional shortcake.You can use frozen berries in the sauce, but fresh are best for the topping. Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 218
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 286mg
- Calcium: 106mg
- 1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen blackberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon orange-flower water (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon grated orange rind
- Corn bread:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- To prepare sauce, combine the first 5 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth. Strain berry mixture through a fine sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid; discard solids. Cover and chill.
- To prepare topping, combine 1 cup each raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, orange-flower water (if desired), and orange rind; toss gently to combine. Cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- To prepare corn bread, lightly spoon the flour and cornmeal into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, cornmeal, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add milk, butter, oil, and egg; stir with a whisk.
- Pour batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until corn bread is lightly browned and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut corn bread into 9 squares.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon sauce onto each of 9 plates, and top with 1 corn bread square. Top each corn bread square with about 1/4 cup fresh berry topping. Spoon about 1 tablespoon whipped topping over each serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note