I like a sweeter (but not excessively so) cornbread and this recipe is just that.
Sweet Corn Bread with Mixed Berries and Berry Coulis
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 218
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 286mg
- Calcium: 106mg
- 1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh or thawed frozen blackberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon orange-flower water (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon grated orange rind
- Corn bread:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- To prepare sauce, combine the first 5 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth. Strain berry mixture through a fine sieve over a bowl, reserving liquid; discard solids. Cover and chill.
- To prepare topping, combine 1 cup each raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries in a large bowl. Add brown sugar, orange-flower water (if desired), and orange rind; toss gently to combine. Cover and chill.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- To prepare corn bread, lightly spoon the flour and cornmeal into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, cornmeal, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add milk, butter, oil, and egg; stir with a whisk.
- Pour batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes or until corn bread is lightly browned and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut corn bread into 9 squares.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon sauce onto each of 9 plates, and top with 1 corn bread square. Top each corn bread square with about 1/4 cup fresh berry topping. Spoon about 1 tablespoon whipped topping over each serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sweet Corn Bread with Mixed Berries and Berry Coulis Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Desserts