Sweet Carrot Soup
More From Health
- Calories: 143
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 2g
- Carbohydrate: 19g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 343mg
- Calcium: 75mg
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 inch fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 2 pounds organic carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fresh carrot juice (or apple or orange juice)
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, for garnish, optional
- 1. Heat 2 TBSP of the olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook until tender (6-8 minutes). Add the garlic and ginger, and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add carrots, thyme, salt and pepper, and enough water to cover, and bring the soup to a boil. Cover loosely and reduce heat to low.
- 2. Simmer until vegetables are tender (about 30 minutes). Cool slightly. Discard thyme. Purée carrot mixture with an immersion blender until smooth (about 3 minutes). Stir in fresh juice, then reheat soup over a low flame to warm through. Just before serving, taste and adjust salt and pepper; stir in an additional 1-2 TBSP olive oil.
- 3. Ladle into 4 bowls and garnish each with a dollop of yogurt, a sprinkle of cilantro, and sunflower seeds, if using. Serve warm.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note