Sweet and Sour Stuffed Cabbage
After experimenting with numerous Stuffed Cabbage recipes, this one stands head and shoulders above all the rest. It might even be better than your grandmother's.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 2 Cabbage (Large) - Frozen
- 2 pound(s) Ground Round
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) White Pepper
- 2 teaspoon(s) Garlic Powder
- 1 1/4 cup(s) Heinz Ketchup
- 3 Large Eggs
- 1/2 cup(s) Uncooked Carolina White Rice
- 1 Onion (Grated)
- 2 Whole Tomatoes (28oz Can)
- 2 Tomato Sauce (16oz Can)
- Salt (To Taste)
- White Pepper (To Taste)
- 4 Onions - Large (Sliced)
- 2 Lemons (Juiced)
- 2/3 cup(s) Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup(s) Raisins
- There are two methods that can be used to prepare the cabbage leaves. You can either freeze the cabbage for 2 days, defrosting them the night before cooking or you can boil them in water until the leaves are tender. I find the freezing method to be better because it ensures soft, tender leaves and they are much easier to handle.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, salt, pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 cup ketchup, eggs, rice, and grated onion. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt and pepper, onions, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 cup ketchup, lemon juice, brown sugar, and raisins. Bring mixture to a boil and let simmer until the cabbage rolls are ready to be cooked.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Remove the core from the head of cabbage (This is much easier if using the freezing method). Separate the leaves. Place one heaping tablespoon of the meat mixture on each leaf. Tuck the ends in and roll up.
- Cover the bottom of a roasting pan with sauce. Place the rolls in the pan.
- Pour the sauce over the cabbage rolls and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake, for 5 hours. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes before serving. This is even better the second day.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by KNewman430 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note