Simmer for at least 15 minutes - 5 is no where near enough. Nice sweet and sour flavors - a bit like sweet pickle reilsh - but I would use half as much bell pepper and onion. Use a sturdy tortilla chip.
Sweet-and-Sour Green-Tomato Salsa
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 13
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 0.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 0.4g
- Carbohydrate: 2.9g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 0.3mg
- Sodium: 102mg
- Calcium: 4mg
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chopped green tomato
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut the bell pepper in half lengthwise, discarding seeds and membranes. Place the pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil for 10 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and finely chop.
- Place the chopped green tomato, vinegar, sugar, and salt in a blender or food processor, and process until smooth.
- Place the tomato mixture in a small saucepan; cook over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Place in a small bowl; cool to room temperature. Add roasted pepper, onion, and garlic to tomato mixture; toss well.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sweet-and-Sour Green-Tomato Salsa Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Dips/Spreads, Sauces/Condiments
- CONVENIENCE: Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic, Quick/Easy
- CUISINE: American, New American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Vegetables
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Calorie, Low Carbohydrate, Low Cholesterol, Meatless, Low Saturated Fat, Gluten-Free
- COOKING METHOD: Blender, Food Processor, Broil
- OCCASION: Spring, Summer
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Appetizers