This season my family's gardens yielded A LOT of green beans. This was never a family favorite, but there is something to be said about FRESH green beans. I came up with many ways to prepare them. A variation of this being the family fav.
Sweet-and-Sour Green Beans
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
- 6 bacon slices, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (16-oz.) packages frozen whole or cut green beans
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Cook bacon and onion in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring often, 6 to 8 minutes or until browned. Transfer bacon mixture to a plate, reserving drippings in Dutch oven.
- 2. Cook beans in hot drippings, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes or to desired degree of tenderness. Stir in vinegar, sugar, and bacon mixture. Cook, stirring often, 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables