Easy and good to divide up for lunches. I used 12 oz of sweet and sour sauce otherwise followed the recipe fully. Tasty but nothing special.
Sweet-and-Sour Chicken and Rice
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 289
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 25g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 739mg
- Calcium: 31mg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds skinned and boned chicken thighs
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup sweet-and-sour dressing
- 1 cup low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over chicken thighs.
- Brown chicken in a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan, and set aside.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to Dutch oven coated with cooking spray; sauté 5 minutes. Add rice; saute 2 minutes or until rice is opaque. Stir in dressing and broth. Add chicken pieces; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and chicken is done. Sprinkle with green onions.
- NOTE: For testing purposes only, we used Old Dutch Sweet & Sour Dressing.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes