Swedish Rye Bread
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 2 cups sifted rye flour
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 6 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Combine rye flour, molasses, shortening, and salt; add boiling water, stirring until shortening is dissolved. Cool to 105° to 115°. Stir in dissolved yeast, and gradually add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft ball.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface; cover and let rest 10 minutes. Knead dough 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Shape into a ball, and place in a greased bowl; turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 2 hours or until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down, and repeat rising procedure 30 minutes.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 3 equal portions, shaping each portion into a smooth ball. Cover and let rest 15 minutes. Shape into round loaves, and place on greased baking sheets. Cover and repeat rising procedure 1 hour or until doubled in bulk. Brush loaves with egg. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Transfer loaves to wire racks to cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads