- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons grated orange rind, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans
- Sifted powdered sugar
How to Make It
Cream butter in a medium mixing bowl; gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon orange rind, and 1 egg. Stir in 1 1/4 cups flour. Spread mixture evenly in a greased 9-inch square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until set.
Combine brown sugar and 2 eggs in a large mixing bowl, beating well. Add 2 tablespoons orange rind and juice; stir well. Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons flour and baking powder. Fold in coconut and pecans. Pour mixture evenly over baked crust. Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar, and cut into 1 1/2- inch squares. Cool completely in pan.