Swedish Holiday Cookies
Bring these cookies to your next holiday cookie swap.
Yield: Makes 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Add 3/4 cup sugar, beating until smooth. Add molasses, cinnamon, and cardamom, beating until blended.
- Combine 1 tablespoon water and baking powder, stirring until baking powder is dissolved; add to butter mixture. Gradually add flour to butter mixture, beating until blended. Cover; chill 8 hours.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with a 2-inch round or other desired shape cutter. Place, 2 inches apart, on lightly greased baking sheets. Brush evenly with egg white, and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 5 to 6 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts