This recipe has promise. Since several people thought it was bland and with no orange flavor, I kicked it up with 3/4 tsp. cardamom and instead of orange juice, I mixed equal parts OJ concentrate and water to make 1/3 cup. This helped a little. Also, the edges started to brown after 6 mins. @ 375º, so after my first batch, I lowered temp.to 350º for 8 mins. Only got 3 dozen cookies, don't know how this recipe could possible make 4 doz.
Swedish Almond Cardamom Stars
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Cindy Barr, Jan Gautro
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 124
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Carbohydrate: 23.5g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 1.4mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 55mg
- Calcium: 6mg
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup almond paste, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1. To prepare cookies, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking soda, cardamom, and salt in a food processor; process until blended. Add almond paste and butter; process until blended. Combine juice and oil. With processor on, slowly pour juice mixture through food chute; process until dough forms a ball.
- 2. Divide dough in half. Working with 1 portion at a time, gently press dough into a 4-inch square on heavy-duty plastic wrap. Cover with additional plastic wrap. Roll each half of dough, still covered, to a 1/4-inch thickness. Chill 1 hour.
- 3. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 4. Working with 1 portion of dough at a time, remove top sheet of plastic wrap; turn dough over. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Cut with a 2 1/2-inch star-shaped cookie cutter into 24 stars; place stars 2 inches apart on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Repeat procedure with remaining half of dough.
- 5. To prepare icing, combine 2 cups sugar and milk, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Spread about 1 teaspoon icing over each warm cookie; chill 1 hour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Swedish Almond Cardamom Stars Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cookies
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Gifts, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: Scandinavian
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Calorie, Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor, Bake
- OCCASION: Christmas
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light
More Recipes for Desserts