This recipe has promise. Since several people thought it was bland and with no orange flavor, I kicked it up with 3/4 tsp. cardamom and instead of orange juice, I mixed OJ concentrate and water to make 1/3 cup. This helped a little. Also, the edges started to brown after 6 mins. @ 375º, so after my first batch, I lowered temp.to 350º for 8 mins. Only got 3 dozen cookies, don't know how this recipe could possible make 4 doz.
Swedish Almond Cardamom Stars
Don't substitute marzipan for the almond paste, because it's a bit too sweet for this buttery, lightly spiced cookie. Look for the almond paste in tubes, such as Odense brand, or in cans, like King Arthur brand.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 124
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Carbohydrate: 23.5g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Cholesterol: 1.4mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 55mg
- Calcium: 6mg
- 9 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup almond paste, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1. To prepare cookies, weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking soda, cardamom, and salt in a food processor; process until blended. Add almond paste and butter; process until blended. Combine juice and oil. With processor on, slowly pour juice mixture through food chute; process until dough forms a ball.
- 2. Divide dough in half. Working with 1 portion at a time, gently press dough into a 4-inch square on heavy-duty plastic wrap. Cover with additional plastic wrap. Roll each half of dough, still covered, to a 1/4-inch thickness. Chill 1 hour.
- 3. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 4. Working with 1 portion of dough at a time, remove top sheet of plastic wrap; turn dough over. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Cut with a 2 1/2-inch star-shaped cookie cutter into 24 stars; place stars 2 inches apart on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans; cool on wire racks. Repeat procedure with remaining half of dough.
- 5. To prepare icing, combine 2 cups sugar and milk, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Spread about 1 teaspoon icing over each warm cookie; chill 1 hour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Swedish Almond Cardamom Stars Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cookies
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Gifts, Kid-Friendly, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: Scandinavian
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Rice/Grains
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Calorie, Low Cholesterol, Low Fat, Low Sodium, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor, Bake
- OCCASION: Christmas
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light