- 1 can (about 28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 large onions, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth (Regular, Natural GoodnessTM or Certified Organic)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
How to Make It
Heat the oven to 425°F. Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juice. Place the tomatoes, onions and garlic into a 17 x 11-inch roasting pan. Pour the oil over the vegetables and toss to coat. Bake for 25 minutes.
Place the roasted vegetables into a 3-quart saucepan. Stir in the reserved tomato juice, broth, celery and barley and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 35 minutes or until the barley is tender. Stir in the parsley.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with multi-grain flatbread crackers and Cheddar cheese. For dessert serve with peach and blueberry crumble.