- 1 1/2 pounds beef for stew, cut into 1
- Ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound medium potato, cut into cubes
- 4 pound medium carrots, sliced
- 2 pound medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 pound cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/4 cups Swanson® Beef Broth (Regular, 50% Less Sodium or Certified Organic)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
How to Make It
Season beef with black pepper. Coat beef with 2 tbsp. flour. Heat oil in 12" skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook until well browned, stirring often.
Place potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic into 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with beef. Add 3 cups broth, Worcestershire, thyme and bay leaf.
Cover and cook on LOW 10 to 11 hr.* or until beef is fork-tender. Remove and discard bay leaf.
Stir remaining flour and broth in small bowl. Stir flour mixture and peas in cooker. Turn heat to HIGH. Cover and cook 15 min. or until mixture boils and thickens.
*Or on HIGH 5 to 6 hr.
Serving suggestion: Serve with buttermilk biscuits and tossed salad topped with Ranch dressing.
Cost per recipe: $97 Cost per recipe serving: $67Total cost of meal (including serving suggestion): $84 Cost calculations based on July 2008 national average prices