Susan Brackett's First Prize Apple Pie
The judges awarded the top honors to Susan Brackett for her crumb-topped pie. Brackett used Cortland apples, but any tart apple will do. We found Pink Lady apples do nicely.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 246
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 2.9g
- Carbohydrate: 40.6g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 143mg
- Calcium: 22mg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (about 6 3/4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 7 tablespoons ice water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups thinly sliced peeled Pink Lady apple (about 7 medium)
- Cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour (about 1 3/4 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chilled butter
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon 1 1/2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl; cut in 2 tablespoons butter and vegetable shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle surface with vinegar and ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork until dough is moist and crumbly (do not form a ball). Gently press dough into a 4-inch circle on 2 sheets of overlapping heavy-duty plastic wrap, and cover with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll the dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle. Chill the dough 30 minutes or until the plastic wrap can be easily removed.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- To prepare filling, combine granulated sugar and next 4 ingredients (through 1/8 teaspoon salt) in a small bowl. Sprinkle sugar mixture over apple; toss well to coat.
- Remove top sheets of plastic wrap from dough circle; fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray, letting dough extend over edge of plate. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Fold edges under, and flute. Spoon filling into crust.
- To prepare topping, combine 6 tablespoons flour and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Cut in 3 tablespoons butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle topping mixture over apple mixture. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350° (do not remove pie from oven); bake an additional 40 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note