Superfood Chocolate Muffins
Delicious and moist chocolate muffins made from whole grain flour, flax seed, wheat germ, Greek yogurt, pumpkin....a perfect healthy breakfast or snack for the kids. This is a low fat, lower sugar, and lower glycemic recipe, but it sure doesn't taste like it! Spelt flour is a whole grain flour similar to whole wheat but a bit sweeter and lighter. You may sub with whole wheat if you wish. Palm sugar can also be subbed with regular or brown sugar, though palm is preferable being lower glycemic.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 cup(s) spelt flour
- 3/4 cup(s) ground flaxseed
- 1/2 cup(s) wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) instant coffee
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup(s) mini chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup(s) nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup(s) skim or soy milk
- 1 cup(s) canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup(s) palm sugar
- 2 teaspoon(s) liquid stevia
- 1/4 cup(s) egg white
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup(s) coconut oil melted
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients: flour, flaxseed, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, coffee, salt and chocolate chips. In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet: pumpkin, Greek yogurt, milk, egg whites, palm sugar, stevia, vanilla extract. Now melt the coconut oil before whisking into the wet ingredients.
- Gently fold wet into dry until JUST mixed, do not overstir! Spelt flour holds moisture best if allowed to rest, so don't preheat the oven until the batter is ready. It will seem very thick and has to be somewhat "molded" into oiled, medium muffin tins. The batter will fill the tins almost to the top. Preheat oven to 350 and bake for 12-15 minutes. Do not overbake.
- Total per muffins: Cals 191, 5.5 g protein, 25 g carb, 9 g fat
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Rowyn1 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note