Outstanding! If you think tofu is boring, you need to try this! It can easily be made low carb by eliminating the tortillas and just pairing the crispy tofu cubes with the carrot-radish slaw, using the mayo-Sriracha-rice vinegar mixture are a light dressing. I've made this using regular radishes (in place of daikon radish), sambal oelek (in place of Sriracha), and pistachios (in place of the cashews), so it's very versatile.
Supercrunch Tofu Tacos
Pickled daikon radishes and carrots plus a spicy Sriracha sauce set these Asian-inspired tacos apart. Pan-sautéed cashews lend meaty crunch to this vegetarian dish.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 42 Minutes
- Calories: 397
- Fat: 18.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 10.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 45.7g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 516mg
- Calcium: 256mg
- 1 (14-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (2-inch) julienne-cut carrots
- 1 1/2 cups (2-inch) julienne-cut peeled daikon radish
- 2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong)
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup diagonally sliced green onions
- 1. Cut tofu lengthwise into 2 (1-inch-thick) slices. Cut each slice lengthwise into 4 (1-inch-thick) strips. Place tofu on several layers of heavy-duty paper towels. Cover tofu with additional paper towels; top with a cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan. Let stand 15 minutes.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle tofu with salt and pepper. Add canola oil to pan, and swirl to coat. Add tofu to pan; cook 10 minutes or until browned, turning to brown all sides. Remove tofu from pan, and drain on paper towels. Add cashews to pan; cook 30 seconds or until nuts are just beginning to brown. Remove nuts with a slotted spoon, and coarsely chop. Cut tofu strips crosswise into 1-inch cubes. Combine 1/4 cup vinegar, 3 tablespoons water, and sugar in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; add carrots and radish. Let stand 15 minutes; drain. Combine mayonnaise, Sriracha, and 1 teaspoon vinegar in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- 3. Working with 1 tortilla at a time, heat tortillas over medium-high heat directly on the eye of a burner for about 15 seconds on each side or until lightly charred. Arrange about 1/4 cup carrot mixture in center of each tortilla; top with 4 tofu pieces, about 1/2 teaspoon cashews, about 1 teaspoon mayonnaise mixture, and 1 1/2 teaspoons green onions.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note