Very simple and absolutely delicious--even with the sugar! Bob, it sounds as if your cast iron skillet needs re-seasoning. Instead of starting from scratch, try frying something in it before making your next batch of cornbread--it may do the trick. Good luck!
Five ingredients are all you need to make a delicious cornbread recipe. Serve this tasty side with barbecue in the summer or with the turkey at Thanksgiving; it's delicious any time of year!
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in an 10-inch cast-iron skillet in a 425° oven 5 minutes. Tilt skillet to coat evenly with butter.
- Pour cornbread batter into the buttered skillet.
- Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until golden. Remove cornbread immediately from skillet, and let cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This