I made this for breakfast this morning, it is really is outstanding. Next time I am going to put in sausage and cheese.
Sunny Skillet Breakfast
More From Southern Living
Stand: 5 Minutes
- 3 (8-oz.) baking potatoes, peeled and shredded (about 3 cups firmly packed)*
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place shredded potatoes in a large bowl; add cold water to cover. Let stand 5 minutes; drain and pat dry.
- 2. Melt butter with oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper and onion, and sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in shredded potatoes and 1/2 tsp. salt; cook, stirring often, 10 minutes or until potatoes are golden and tender.
- 3. Remove from heat. Make 6 indentations in potato mixture, using back of a spoon. Break 1 egg into each indentation. Sprinkle eggs with pepper and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 12 to 14 minutes or until eggs are set. Serve immediately.
- *3 cups firmly packed frozen shredded potatoes may be substituted, omitting Step 1.
- Veggie Confetti Frittata: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 2, sautéing 1/2 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms with bell peppers and onion. Remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 cup sliced ripe black olives, drained, and 1/4 cup thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained. Whisk together eggs, pepper, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt; whisk in 1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded Swiss cheese. Pour egg mixture over potato mixture in skillet. Bake at 350° for 9 to 10 minutes or until set. Cut into wedges, and serve immediately. Makes 6 servings. Prep: 20 min., Stand: 5 min., Cook: 16 min., Bake: 10 min.
Soaking the shredded potatoes in cold water keeps them from turning gray before cooking. It also rinses off some of the starch. Drain and pat them dry, so they won't stick to the cast-iron skillet.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note