Moist and delicious.....used cranberries (plumped) instead of blueberries. Dried apricots or raisins would be good too
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 157
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 3.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 27.9g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 149mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 1/4 cups bread flour, divided
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup dried blueberries
- Cooking spray
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes.
- Lightly spoon whole wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add whole wheat flour, honey, oil, molasses, and salt to yeast mixture, stirring well to combine. Cover and let stand at room temperature 1 hour to create a sponge.
- Add wheat germ and cornmeal to sponge. Lightly spoon bread flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 1 cup flour to sponge; stir until a soft dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky). Knead in sunflower seeds and blueberries.
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press 2 fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.)
- Punch dough down. Cover and let rest 5 minutes. Roll into a 14 x 7-inch rectangle on a floured surface. Roll up tightly, starting with a short edge, pressing firmly to eliminate air pockets; pinch seam and ends to seal. Place roll, seam side down, in an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Coat dough with cooking spray. Cover and let rise 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Uncover dough; bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until loaf is browned on bottom and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Sunflower-Wheat Loaf Recipe at a Glance