Sunday Roast Beef
- 1 (5 1/2-pound) boneless rump roast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, cut into 3 slices
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 7 cups water, divided
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle juice
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Rub roast with salt and pepper. Cut three slits in roast; insert garlic slices. Coat roast with 1/3 cup flour.
- Brown roast on all sides in hot oil in a Dutch oven.
- Stir together 6 cups water and next 5 ingredients; pour over roast.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for 5 hours or until tender.
- Remove roast from Dutch oven; keep warm. Whisk together remaining 1 cup flour and remaining 1 cup water. Whisk flour mixture into drippings; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Serve gravy with roast.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note