I skipped the actual "salad" part, but the egg salad itself was phenomenal. I substituted Herbs de Provence for the tarragon and it worked well with the other flavors.
Sumptuous Egg Salad Sandwiches
Notes: The texture of the salad depends on how you mash the eggs: For a fluffier quality, separate the whites and yolks and mash with a fork or whirl separately in a food processor to desired consistency; for a creamier texture, mash or whirl whites and yolks together. As flavor alternatives, substitute 1 teaspoon curry powder and/or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill for the tarragon. You can make the egg salad (step 1), Pickled Onion Salad, and Melted Cucumbers up to 1 day ahead; cover separately and chill.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 637
- Calories from fat: 59%
- Protein: 21g
- Fat: 42g
- Saturated fat: 7.8g
- Carbohydrate: 43g
- Fiber: 6.6g
- Sodium: 1105mg
- Cholesterol: 441mg
- 8 hard-cooked large eggs, shelled and mashed (see notes)
- About 1/2 cup mayonnaise (regular or reduced fat) or sour cream (or equal portions of each)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon (see notes)
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme leaves or dried thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 6 cups baby salad mix, rinsed and crisped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 slices dense-textured pumpernickel bread or toasted firm-textured white bread or 4 English muffins, split and toasted
- Pickled Onion Salad
- Melted Cucumbers
- 1. In a bowl, mix eggs with enough mayonnaise for desired consistency. Stir in mustard, tarragon, and thyme. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 2. Put salad mix in another bowl; mix with olive oil and vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 3. Place two slices of bread on each plate. Spread egg salad equally on slices. Top equally with Pickled Onion Salad and Melted Cucumbers. Mound salad mix alongside.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note