- 10 medium tomatoes, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried whole basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 slices bread, crust removed and cut into 2-inch strips
How to Make It
Combine tomatoes, sugar, butter, lemon juice, salt, and basil in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 1/2 hours or until mixture is thickened. Stir in parsley.
Spoon tomato mixture into a 1 1/2-quart casserole. Top with bread strips. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until bread strips are browned.