This was spectacular! I confess that Pillsbury provided the crust (sorry CL); I substituted all zucchini and skipped the egg white on top. The garlic, lemon, and thyme flavors married beautifully, and the bail on top was a delight. Will definitely make again.
Summer Squash and Ricotta Galette
This month, we encourage eating more healthy fats. Here's a fantastic crust that you can swap in for a standard butter-based one. You can make the dough in advance, and chill until ready to use.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 2 Hours
- Calories: 362
- Fat: 20.1g
- Saturated fat: 5.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 12.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 13.3g
- Carbohydrate: 31g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 519mg
- Calcium: 236mg
- 7.25 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 2/3 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 medium zucchini, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 large yellow squash, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 ounces grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a food processor; pulse 2 times to combine. Combine 1/3 cup oil and 1/4 cup water in a small bowl. With processor on, slowly add oil mixture through food chute; process until dough is crumbly. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 1 minute; add additional flour, if necessary, to prevent dough from sticking. Gently press dough into a 5-inch disk; wrap in plastic wrap, and chill at least 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 3. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon oil, zucchini, squash, and garlic in a large bowl. Combine ricotta and next 6 ingredients (through egg) in a medium bowl, stirring to combine.
- 4. Unwrap dough, and roll into a 14-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread ricotta mixture over dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Arrange zucchini and squash slices alternately, slightly overlapping, in a circular pattern over ricotta mixture. Sprinkle zucchini and squash with kosher salt. Fold edges of dough toward center, pressing gently to seal (dough will only partially cover squash). In a small bowl, whisk together 1 teaspoon water and egg white. Brush dough edges with egg white mixture. Bake at 400° for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 5 minutes; sprinkle with basil. Cool an additional 15 minutes. Cut into 6 wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note