declicious! used 4 acorn squash & also subbed 1/2 mayo for 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt; try variations of cheese (ie pepperjack) for delicious twist! definitely will remake!
Summer Squash Casserole
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Amy Burke
More From Southern Living
Other: 30 Minutes
- 2 1/2 pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup soft, fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Combine squash and green onions in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, folding back a small edge to allow steam to escape. Microwave at HIGH 8 minutes or until squash is tender. (Do not drain.)
- 2. Whisk together mayonnaise and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in squash mixture and cheese. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish; cover tightly with plastic wrap, folding back a small edge to allow steam to escape. Microwave at HIGH 10 minutes or until casserole is set; remove from microwave, and let stand 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir together breadcrumbs and melted butter; microwave 2 minutes. Sprinkle over casserole.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables