This is the only squash casserole that gets rave reviews from my husband and sons. If I don't have soft breadcrumbs on hand, I substitute french fried onion rings and add them in the last minute of cook time. Love that this is one less dish occupying my oven!
Summer Squash Casserole
More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2 pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup soft, fresh breadcrumbs
- 1. Microwave 4 Tbsp. butter in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until melted. Add onion, and cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap, folding back a small edge to allow steam to escape. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes.
- 2. Uncover, add squash, and cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap, folding back a small edge. Microwave at HIGH 5 minutes or until squash is tender. (Do not drain.)
- 3. Combine mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in squash mixture and cheese.
- 4. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Cover dish tightly with plastic wrap, folding back a small edge.
- 5. Microwave at HIGH 10 minutes or until casserole is set. Remove and let stand 10 minutes.
- 6. Microwave remaining 2 Tbsp. butter at HIGH 1 minute or until melted. Stir together melted butter and breadcrumbs; microwave at HIGH 2 minutes. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Note: The onion and squash release excess moisture when cooking; do not drain. The flour in the mayonnaise mixture will help absorb the moisture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This