This is the only squash casserole that gets rave reviews from my husband and sons. If I don't have soft breadcrumbs on hand, I substitute french fried onion rings and add them in the last minute of cook time. Love that this is one less dish occupying my oven!
Summer Squash Casserole
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Stand: 10 Minutes
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2 pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (10-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup soft, fresh breadcrumbs
- 1. Microwave 4 Tbsp. butter in a large microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until melted. Add onion, and cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap, folding back a small edge to allow steam to escape. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes.
- 2. Uncover, add squash, and cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap, folding back a small edge. Microwave at HIGH 5 minutes or until squash is tender. (Do not drain.)
- 3. Combine mayonnaise and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in squash mixture and cheese.
- 4. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Cover dish tightly with plastic wrap, folding back a small edge.
- 5. Microwave at HIGH 10 minutes or until casserole is set. Remove and let stand 10 minutes.
- 6. Microwave remaining 2 Tbsp. butter at HIGH 1 minute or until melted. Stir together melted butter and breadcrumbs; microwave at HIGH 2 minutes. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Note: The onion and squash release excess moisture when cooking; do not drain. The flour in the mayonnaise mixture will help absorb the moisture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles