excellent. I used chicken stock instead of water in the ragout and added a bit more than stated to make more broth. I've made this over rice and over couscous instead of polenta.
Summer Squash, Carrot, and Green Pea Ragout Over Polenta
This light-and-simple ragout made with fresh produce is the essence of summer. Make the polenta first, and keep it warm while you prepare the vegetables.
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 cup ragout, 3/4 cup polenta, and 1 tablespoon cheese)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 294
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 9.6g
- Carbohydrate: 49.4g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 615mg
- Calcium: 136mg
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrot
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups diced yellow squash (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shelled green peas (about 2 pounds unshelled green peas)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- 5 tablespoons (about 1 ounce) grated Asiago cheese
- To prepare polenta, bring 4 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; stir in polenta and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat, and cook until thick (about 5 minutes), stirring frequently. Keep warm.
- To prepare ragout, cook carrot in boiling water 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain well.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in squash, 1/2 cup water, 1 tablespoon parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until squash is tender. Stir in carrot, 3/4 cup water, and peas. Bring to a simmer; cook for 10 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon parsley, basil, lemon juice, and butter. Serve ragout with polenta. Sprinkle with cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note