excellent. I used chicken stock instead of water in the ragout and added a bit more than stated to make more broth. I've made this over rice and over couscous instead of polenta.
Summer Squash, Carrot, and Green Pea Ragout Over Polenta
This light-and-simple ragout made with fresh produce is the essence of summer. Make the polenta first, and keep it warm while you prepare the vegetables.
Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 1 cup ragout, 3/4 cup polenta, and 1 tablespoon cheese)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 294
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 9.6g
- Carbohydrate: 49.4g
- Fiber: 5.8g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 615mg
- Calcium: 136mg
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup instant polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrot
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups diced yellow squash (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shelled green peas (about 2 pounds unshelled green peas)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- 5 tablespoons (about 1 ounce) grated Asiago cheese
- To prepare polenta, bring 4 cups water to a boil in a saucepan; stir in polenta and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat, and cook until thick (about 5 minutes), stirring frequently. Keep warm.
- To prepare ragout, cook carrot in boiling water 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain well.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in squash, 1/2 cup water, 1 tablespoon parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until squash is tender. Stir in carrot, 3/4 cup water, and peas. Bring to a simmer; cook for 10 minutes. Stir in 1 tablespoon parsley, basil, lemon juice, and butter. Serve ragout with polenta. Sprinkle with cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This