I loved this recipe and will definitely add it to my repertoire for special occasions or everyday meals as it is so colorful and nutritious. I added some leftover grilled zucchini and brown rice that I heated in the microwave with a bit of water. Also, used Chinese eggplant instead of the regular type as it is not bitter. I served it with Jacques Pepin's Pork Chops with Zesty Sauce and some steamed broccoli florets. The only thing I will do differently next time is slice the eggplant to 1/4 inch thickness as I used a grill pan on medium heat and it needed more time to cook.
Summer Rice Salad with Tuna
Use high-quality tuna, such as Bonito del Norte from Spain. Prepare and chill the salad up to a day ahead. Bring it to room temperature before serving.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup salad)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 177
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 3.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 9.1g
- Carbohydrate: 26.5g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 6.6mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 388mg
- Calcium: 19mg
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 1 medium)
- 3 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup chopped kosher dill pickles
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces oil-packed white albacore tuna, rinsed and drained
- Prepare grill.
- Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a work surface; flatten with hand. Place pepper halves, skin sides down, on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill for 10 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand for 10 minutes. Peel and coarsely chop.
- Place eggplant on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Cool slightly, and coarsely chop eggplant.
- Combine peppers, eggplant, rice, and remaining ingredients, stirring to flake tuna with a fork.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This