My first risotto and it did not disappoint. I was unsure of making a risotto dish, I had this idea that it would be too technical and complicated. This recipe came together quite nice, a bit labor intensive with all the stirring, but I guess that comes with the territory with risotto. It was delicious, my husband and I really enjoyed it. This one is a definate keeper!
Summer Lemon-Vegetable Risotto
Photo: John Autry; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Total: 59 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 395
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 10.6g
- Carbohydrate: 56.2g
- Fiber: 7.1g
- Cholesterol: 18mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 512mg
- Calcium: 191mg
- 8 ounces asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed and cut in half
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 (8-ounce) zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 (8-ounce) yellow squash, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 3/4 cups organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh pecorino Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add asparagus and peas; cook for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add zucchini and squash to pan; cook for 7 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- 3. Bring vegetable broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- 4. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallots, and cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in rice, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; cook until liquid is absorbed (about 30 seconds), stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup broth; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Reserve 1/4 cup broth. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 22 minutes total). Stir in vegetables; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in reserved 1/4 cup broth and remaining ingredients.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables