Made this tonight with some pan fried pork chops and fried green tomatoes. Used a store bought can of field peas that had the best smokey flavor. Snipped basil and chives from the garden and had some parsley on hand. It was a nice change for a side dish. Good to try something different for a change. Would also be just as good w/o the rice. My picky husband sure did like it, too!
Summer Hoppin' John Salad
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 45 Minutes
- 1 medium-size sweet onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups drained Classic Fresh Field Peas
- Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1 pound heirloom tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 cups loosely packed mixed salad greens
- 3/4 cup chopped assorted fresh herbs (such as flat-leaf parsley, chives, dill, and basil)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked basmati rice, cooled
- 1. Brush onion slices with olive oil; cook in a hot grill pan over medium-high heat about 5 minutes on each side or until grill marks appear. Coarsely chop onion.
- 2. Toss together peas, chopped onion, and 3 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinaigrette in a medium bowl. Gently toss together tomatoes, next 2 ingredients, and 3 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinaigrette in another bowl.
- 3. Spoon rice onto a serving platter; top with tomato mixture and pea mixture. Serve with remaining vinaigrette.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This