I love these things! I always saute chopped onions with the okra, and I add cayenne pepper to the batter. I can make a meal of these and sliced, fresh tomatoes! If you love okra and cornbread, you must try these!
Summer Griddle Cakes
More From Southern Living
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 cup finely chopped okra
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising white cornmeal mix
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 2/3 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Finely chop bacon.
- 2. Sauté okra in hot drippings 3 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- 3. Whisk together cornmeal mix and next 5 ingredients just until moistened; stir in okra and bacon.
- 4. Pour about 1/4 cup batter for each griddle cake onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or large nonstick skillet. Cook cakes 2 to 3 minutes or until tops are covered with bubbles and edges look dry and cooked; turn and cook other side 1 to 2 minutes or until done.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note