- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- 1 red onion (6 oz.), thinly sliced
- 2 carrots (1/2 lb. total), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups fat-skimmed chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 6 cups (1 3/4 lb.) chopped zucchini, crookneck, or pattypan squash (use 1 or several kinds)
- Salt and pepper
- calories 117
- caloriesfromfat 27 %
- protein 4.4 g
- fat 3.5 g
- satfat 0.8 g
- carbohydrate 12 g
- fiber 2.2 g
- sodium 91 mg
- cholesterol 2.5 mg
How to Make It
In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, stir oil, onion, carrots, and garlic until onion is limp, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in white wine and bring to a boil. Pour mixture into a large bowl.
To pan, add broth and vermouth. Place over high heat, cover, and bring to a boil. Add squash. Cover and simmer over low heat until squash is tender when pierced, 10 to 12 minutes.
A portion at a time, whirl squash mixture in a blender until smooth. As purèed, add to onion mixture.
To serve hot, return soup to pan and stir over high heat until hot, 2 to 3 minutes. To serve cool, chill quickly by nesting pan in ice water; stir frequently until cold, 20 to 25 minutes. If making ahead, cover and chill up to 1 day. Add salt and pepper to taste.