This cake is absolutely wonderful. The cornmeal gives it a nice bite, and if you use fresh fruit the flavor is be incredible. DO NOT use splenda and omit the nectarines like one reviewer did, no wonder she didn't like this recipe! It is also excellent with plums. This is better than another recipe I tried from a Chez Pannise cookbook and that is saying a lot. I will make this over and over again.
Summer Fruit Upside-Down Cornmeal Cake
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 221
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 6.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Carbohydrate: 0.0g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 50mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 163mg
- Calcium: 46mg
- 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) nectarine slices
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (5 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup stone ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; toss gently. Coat a 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Brush pan with 1 tablespoon melted butter. Sprinkle pan evenly with 1 tablespoon sugar. Pour nectarine mixture into pan in an even layer; set aside.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Combine remaining 1 cup sugar and 5 tablespoons softened butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well combined. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture to butter mixture; beat just until combined.
- Spoon batter evenly over fruit mixture. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until cake is set and light brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes. Place a plate upside down on top of cake pan; invert cake onto plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts