This is quite yummy. We made it a couple times, making changes in the veggies we used. Versatile. DO NOT skip the step of coating the farro with the oil. I'm pretty sure if you do, the entire salad becomes a bit gummy. That was the only step I missed the last time I made this and the texture was off because of it.
Summer Farro Salad
Photo: © John Kernick
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, quartered
- 1 small carrot, halved
- 1 celery rib, halved
- 12 ounces farro, 1 3/4 cups
- 5 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small seedless cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil. Add the yellow onion, carrot and celery, cover and cook over moderately low heat until barely softened, about 5 minutes. Add the farro and stir to coat with oil. Add the water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until the farro is barely tender, about 10 minutes; season with salt. Cover and simmer until the farro is al dente, about 10 minutes longer. Drain the farro and discard the onion, carrot and celery. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 1/3 cup of olive oil with the vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Fold in the farro, red onion, cucumber, tomatoes and basil, season with salt and pepper and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This