I made this by the recipe for friends and they raved about it. Butter peas are easy to find in most Southern states in the freezer section. John Boy and Billy's BBQ sauce is great to add extra spice.
Summer Brunswick Stew
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Styling: Heather Chadduck
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh lady peas or butter peas
- 1 pound pulled barbecued pork (without sauce)
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 2 cups peeled and diced tomatoes
- Sauté onion in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender; add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Add broth and peas; bring to a boil, stirring often. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until peas are tender. Stir in pork and next 3 ingredients; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add tomatoes, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Note: We tested with Kraft Original Barbecue Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note