Summer Blackberry Custards
Photo: © Martin Morrell
Alain Coumont makes these ethereal, citrusy custards with wild blackberries gathered from his property. Try them with blueberries, raspberries or pitted cherries, too.
- 6 cups blackberries (2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Spread 1/2 cup of the blackberries in each of twelve 4-ounce gratin dishes. Arrange the gratin dishes on 2 baking sheets.
- In a bowl, whisk the milk with the cream, eggs, brown sugar, flour, vanilla, lemon juice and orange zest until smooth. Ladle 1/4 cup of the custard into each dish; bake for about 15 minutes, until the centers are set. Transfer the custards to wire racks and let stand for 30 minutes. Serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This