Summer Berry-Cinnamon Short Cakes
Plan your day ahead so that you can enjoy this yummy dessert. For a more traditional shortcake, substitute 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries and omit the other berries.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 285
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.0g
- Protein: 4.5g
- Carbohydrate: 49.0g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Iron: 2.0mg
- Sodium: 500mg
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Calcium: 146mg
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 3/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 3/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk (1%)
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen sliced strawberries in light syrup, thawed
- 8 tablespoons frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moist.
- Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface; knead lightly 5 times. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness; cut with a 2 3/4-inch biscuit cutter. Place shortcakes on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with 2 teaspoons sugar.
- Bake at 425° for 12 minutes or until golden. Remove shortcakes from baking sheet, and cool on a wire rack.
- Place thawed strawberries in a blender or food processor. Process 20 seconds. Strain puree through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids. Stir strawberry puree into berry mixture.
- Cut shortcakes in half. Spoon 1/4 cup fruit mixture over bottom of each shortcake. Place top of shortcakes over fruit mixture; spoon 1/4 cup fruit mixture over tops. Dollop 1 tablespoon whipped topping onto each shortcake. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note