I loved this simple bean salad! It tasted to summery with that burst of citrus and fresh herbs and it was incredibly simple to make. I substituted edamame because they didn't have fava beans at the store -- I knew I should've bought some at the Farmers' Market last weekend! -- and it worked out perfectly. The mayo mixture that gets drizzled on top is not to be skipped!
Summer Bean Salad
If you purchase whole fava bean pods, you'll need to shell them and then peel the beans: Blanch shelled beans in boiling water for a few seconds, remove to a bowl of ice water, drain, and slip off the opaque skins. You can also substitute shelled edamame.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 45 Minutes
- Calories: 147
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 160mg
- Calcium: 43mg
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 cups water
- 8 ounces fresh yellow wax beans, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups shelled and peeled fava beans (about 3 pounds unshelled beans)
- 2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup very thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can unsalted chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1. Combine oil, rind, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- 2. Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add wax beans; cook 2 minutes. Add fava beans to wax beans in pan; cook an additional 2 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain. Add bean mixture, cherry tomatoes, onion, and chickpeas to dressing; toss well.
- 3. Combine remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, mayonnaise, and chives in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Let stand 10 minutes. Drizzle mayonnaise mixture over bean mixture.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note