Loved the flavors and mix of beans. I used green beans due to an abundance in the garden. Made cashew cream rather than using mayo since we are vegan leaning. My brother-in-law planted fava beans this year so we used those; I agree, edamame would be much simpler and just as good.
Summer Bean Salad
If you purchase whole fava bean pods, you'll need to shell them and then peel the beans: Blanch shelled beans in boiling water for a few seconds, remove to a bowl of ice water, drain, and slip off the opaque skins. You can also substitute shelled edamame.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 45 Minutes
- Calories: 147
- Fat: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 160mg
- Calcium: 43mg
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 cups water
- 8 ounces fresh yellow wax beans, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups shelled and peeled fava beans (about 3 pounds unshelled beans)
- 2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup very thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can unsalted chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- 1. Combine oil, rind, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- 2. Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add wax beans; cook 2 minutes. Add fava beans to wax beans in pan; cook an additional 2 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain. Add bean mixture, cherry tomatoes, onion, and chickpeas to dressing; toss well.
- 3. Combine remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, mayonnaise, and chives in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Let stand 10 minutes. Drizzle mayonnaise mixture over bean mixture.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note