- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 cups water
- 8 ounces fresh yellow wax beans, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups shelled and peeled fava beans (about 3 pounds unshelled beans)
- 2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup very thinly vertically sliced red onion
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can unsalted chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh chives
- calories 147
- fat 7.9 g
- satfat 0.8 g
- monofat 5 g
- polyfat 1.4 g
- protein 4.3 g
- carbohydrate 15 g
- fiber 4 g
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
- iron 1.4 mg
- sodium 160 mg
- calcium 43 mg
How to Make It
Combine oil, rind, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add wax beans; cook 2 minutes. Add fava beans to wax beans in pan; cook an additional 2 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Drain. Add bean mixture, cherry tomatoes, onion, and chickpeas to dressing; toss well.
Combine remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, mayonnaise, and chives in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Let stand 10 minutes. Drizzle mayonnaise mixture over bean mixture.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.