Loved this. I am one of those annoying people who changed it on the first try though. To accommodate my families allergens I used cauliflower rice instead of pasta and I did not use the dairy. It was a delicious, quick and easy meal for the whole family.
Summer Asparagus, Bacon & Asiago Cheese Carbonara
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/2 pound(s) ground country sausage
- 8 ounce(s) penne pasta or similar
- 10 slice(s) bacon
- 15 spear(s) fresh asparagus
- 3 clove(s) garlic pressed or finely minced
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoon(s) milk, 2% or whole
- 1/3 cup(s) parmesan cheese finely shredded
- 1/4 cup(s) asiago cheese, with rosemary & olive oil finely shredded
- Wash asparagus. Holding a spear at each end, bend and snap in lower half. Discard the tough, lower half or save for another use. Cut remaining into bite-sized pieces, and reserve for later.
- Separate egg yolks and whisk with milk in a small bowl. Mix in parmesan and asiago cheeses. Set aside for later.
- Add bacon in single layer to cool skillet and put over medium-high heat. Cover with splatter guard and cook until crisp. Make bacon in batches, if necessary, until all bacon is cooked. Drain cooked bacon on paper towels and let cool.
- Using a wad of power towels, carefully mop up most of bacon grease, reserving some in the pan with any bits. Add ground sausage to skillet and cook until well browned. Use a spatula to divide sausage into smaller pieces as it cooks.
- While sausage is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, add some salt and the pasta. Reduce temperature slightly, stir and cook until al dente. Drain and return pasta to pot. Bundle cooled bacon and cut into bite sized bits, add to pasta & reserve for later.
- Once sausage is fully browned, add asparagus to skillet and cook for 3 minutes or until asparagus begins to become tender. Add in minced garlic, stir and cook until garlic releases its aroma, about another minute. Reduce heat to medium and stir in cheese mixture. Stir constantly until cheese is melted, and sausage & asparagus is coated evenly.
- Immediately add sausage, asparagus & cheese mixture to the pasta & bacon in large pot. Stir until all ingredients are well blended and pasta is evenly coated. Transfer to serving dish, and garnish with parmesan. Enjoy!
This recipe is a personal recipe added by bluestems and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note