I love this bread but I would recommend using 2 tsp of cardamom if you are used to Swedish cardamom bread. I would also suggest baking just 20 minutes so it doesn't get too brown.
Sugar-Frosted Cardamom Braid
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 130
- Calories from fat: 13%
- Fat: 1.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 24.5g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 71mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- 1 1/3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon coarse-grain sugar
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Cook 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves and a thermometer registers 115°, stirring frequently. Remove saucepan from heat.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 1/2 cups flour and yeast in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add milk mixture and egg; beat with a heavy-duty stand mixer at low speed 30 seconds or just until blended. Increase mixer to medium speed; beat 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually add 2 cups flour; beat at low speed until mixture forms a ball.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel sticky). Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Divide dough into 3 equal portions, shaping each into a 20-inch rope. Pinch ends together at one end to seal. Braid ropes on a lightly floured surface; pinch loose ends to seal. Place braid on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. (The braid should be about 15 inches long.) Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Combine egg white and water; brush over top of loaf. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon coarse-grain sugar over loaf. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until golden and loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from oven; cool on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note