Very easy to work with the dough. I added some Andes Peppermint chips to make Peppermint Teacakes and dusted with powdered sugar. Delicious! Plain are great with coffee and Peppermint are terrific with hot chocolate!
Sugar cookies are the perfect backdrop for delicious flavors. Try any of the varieties that come with this recipe: Chocolate Kiss, Peanut Butter Cup, Lemon, or Lemon Thumbprint. Whichever you choose, you're guaranteed rave reviews.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Colored sugar
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; add powdered and granulated sugars, beating well. Add eggs, oil, vanilla, and lemon juice, beating until blended.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients; gradually add to sugar mixture, beating until blended.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in colored sugar, and place about 2 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake, in batches, at 350° for 9 to 11 minutes or until set. (Do not brown.) Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Chocolate Kiss Cookies: Omit colored sugar. After baking, immediately place one unwrapped milk chocolate kiss in center of each cookie, and cool.
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies: Omit colored sugar. After baking, immediately place an unwrapped miniature peanut butter cup in the center of each cookie, and cool.
- Lemon Cookies: Omit vanilla and colored sugar. Increase lemon juice to 1/4 cup, and add 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind to dough. Proceed as directed.
- Lemon Thumbprint Cookies: Prepare Lemon Cookies, and press thumb in center of each cookie to make an indentation. Bake and cool as directed. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon raspberry jam in each indentation.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note