I too, thought this cake was beautiful from the photo and wanted to try it. I first made it and decided to double the recipe. That was a big flop. The cake was very dense and almost looked undone on the bottom although my knife came out clean. I didn't know the cake was as bad as it was until I icing it and cut into it the next day. Thank goodness this was two days before my Christmas dinner. It looked awful on the inside. Ok, I went back to the store and bought all the ingredients again. So, this time I noticed that the Duncan Hines cake mix was suppose to measure (18.25-oz). However, all Duncan Hines' cake mixes measure (16. 5 oz), so that is a problem right there. I actually took out my scale and measured out the cake mix. It took one box and some from another. I am again following ALL the same directions. I'll post when this one comes out. I am beginning to wonder about Southern Living and their cake recipes. This is the second cake recipe I have attempted.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 22 Minutes
Cool: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
Freeze: 1 Hour
- 1 (18.25-oz.) package white cake mix
- 1 (16-oz.) container sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Vanilla Buttercream
- Garnishes: sparkling sugar, clear edible glitter, rosemary sprigs, pecan halves, cranberries
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Beat together first 6 ingredients and, if desired, almond extract at low speed with an electric mixer just until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to medium, and beat 2 minutes or until batter is smooth, stopping to scrape down bottom and sides of bowl as needed. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 8-inch round cake pans.
- 2. Bake at 350° for 20 to 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely (about 1 hour). Wrap in plastic wrap, and freeze 1 hour or up to 1 month.
- 3. Spread Vanilla Buttercream between layers and on top and sides of cake. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Classic White Cake Premium Cake Mix.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note