Sugar- and Spice-dusted Ginger Chew Cookies
Photo: Leigh Beisch; Styling: Dan Becker
Time: 1 hour. These may look humble, but they have big, beautiful flavors.
Yield: Makes 100 cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 48
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Protein: 0.5g
- Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Carbohydrate: 7.3g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 39mg
- Cholesterol: 7mg
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. Beat butter and brown sugar together in a bowl with a mixer on medium speed. Mix in molasses, then egg, until blended, scraping bowl as needed.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, 1 tsp. cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and pepper; add to butter mixture on low speed, mixing until combined.
- 3. Divide dough in half, shape each into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill until firm, about 3 hours. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine remaining 1/2 tsp. cinnamon with granulated sugar; set aside.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Pull off about 1 tbsp. of dough from disk, roll into a ball, and drop into cinnamon sugar bowl. Working in batches of 3 or 4, coat dough balls in sugar and arrange about 1 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- 5. Bake cookies until dry-looking and just starting to brown on edges, about 8 minutes. Set pans on racks and let cookies cool on pans.
- Make ahead: Chill dough (step 3) up to 1 week. Store baked cookies airtight up to 3 days.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note