Stupid Cupid Cupcakes
Strawberries look uncannily like hearts; that's why we named this recipe Stupid Cupid. It's one of our original Valentine's Day flavors that is requested year-round. Top one with a fresh strawberry or a chocolate dipped one- either way, it's a sweet way to say, "You have my heart."
- Strawberry Cake:
- 12 ounce frozen sliced strawberries in syrup, thawed
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose soft-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons strawberry extract
- 1/4 teaspoon red liquid food coloring
- Paper baking cups
- Vegetable cooking spray
- Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 16. oz package powdered sugar
- 24 fresh strawberries
- Chocolate jimmies
- Chocolate Ganache:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- To prepare Strawberry Cake, preheart oven to 350 degrees. Process strawberries and syrup in a blendor or food processor until smooth and pureed. Beat butter and sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer in a large bowl until creamy. Add 1/2 cups strawberry puree; beat 1 minute. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Stir in strawberry extract and food coloring.
- Place paper baking cups in 2 (12-cup) muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter into cups, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks, and cool completely.
- To prepare Chocolate Frosting, beat first 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Beat at high speed 2 minutes or until creamy. Makes 3 cups.
- Fill each cupcake with Chocolate Frosting. To fill cupcakes, insert the end of a wooden spoon or dowel into the center of the cupcake to make a hole. Fill a zip-top plastic freezer bag with filling or frosting. Use scissors or kitchen shears to snip about 1/4 inch from one corner of the bag; insert bag into the hole in the cupcake. Squeeze gently until filling comes to the top of each cupcake.
- Frost each cupcake with Chocolate Frosting.
- To prepare ganache, cook cream in a heavy nonaluminum saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, just until it begins to steam (do not boil); remove from heat. Place chocolate in a glass bowl. Slowly add hot cream to chocolate, beating with a whisk until chocolate melts and mixture is well blended. The mixture will thicken as it cools. Makes about 2 cups.
- Place 1 fresh strawberry on top of each cupcake. Top each cupcake with chocolate jimmies, and drizzle with warm Chocolate Ganache.
A tip from Dreamcakes Bakery: To warm Chocolate Ganache, microwave in a microwave-safe bowl at HIGH 15 to 20 seconds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note