Stuffed Tuna Steaks with Zucchini Agrodolce
- Zucchini Agrodolce
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 6 (3/4-inch-thick) boneless tuna steaks (2 pounds)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Prepare Zucchini Agrodolce; cover and keep warm.
- Sauté onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, parsley, and next 4 ingredients.
- Cut a 1 1/4-inch-long horizontal slit through the thickest portion of each steak, cutting to, but not through, other side to form a pocket. Stuff cheese-and-herb mixture into pockets; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Dip tuna into egg; dredge in remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs.
- Panfry in remaining 3 tablespoons hot oil in a large nonstick skillet 4 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Serve with Zucchini Agrodolce.
- Tip: Use a sharp, thin blade to make pockets in steaks. The point of entry should be no more than 1 1/4 inch wide, but fan the knife blade back and forth to create a large pocket inside the steak, being careful not to cut through the sides.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes