Stuffed Tuna Steaks with Zucchini Agrodolce
- Zucchini Agrodolce
- 1/2 cup finely diced onion
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 anchovy fillets, rinsed and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 6 (3/4-inch-thick) boneless tuna steaks (2 pounds)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Prepare Zucchini Agrodolce; cover and keep warm.
- Sauté onion in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet. Add garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat; stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, parsley, and next 4 ingredients.
- Cut a 1 1/4-inch-long horizontal slit through the thickest portion of each steak, cutting to, but not through, other side to form a pocket. Stuff cheese-and-herb mixture into pockets; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Dip tuna into egg; dredge in remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs.
- Panfry in remaining 3 tablespoons hot oil in a large nonstick skillet 4 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Serve with Zucchini Agrodolce.
- Tip: Use a sharp, thin blade to make pockets in steaks. The point of entry should be no more than 1 1/4 inch wide, but fan the knife blade back and forth to create a large pocket inside the steak, being careful not to cut through the sides.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This